Thursday, January 8, 2009

Homemade Tamales

Christine and I have been talking about making tamales for years now, but have never attempted it (she made green chili ones a couple nights ago that were very yummy).. So last night we decided to try the red chili ones! Christine got this recipe from her grandma Kippy. In this recipe there is not to many ingredients just very time consuming. Mark's sister Sara joined us. I have to say for my first tamale making experience they turned out really good. They can only get better from here! It took us 3 1/2 hours to make around 6 dozen. I want to try green chili next time and maybe even a desert tamale some day.. YUMMY
Look at all that lard
Mixing the masa
It's easier to use your (clean) hands!
Christine put the traditional green olives in hers.. I left that part out LOL!!
Spreading the masa on the cornhusk (this was the trickiest part) if it's to dry it won't spread so getting it just wet enough was the key

Placing the meat on after you spread the masa over the cornhusk then you fold it up!
Steaming the tamales for 45 mins.
Very tasty!!! (Ally ate 3 and I think Georgie had 4) if the kids like them they must be pretty good!!

2 comments:

Christy said...

That looks dang good!! Are you quite the little Martha Stewart.

Lori said...

I want some!!! Can I hire you to teach me?

My music